Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Avarakkai Muttai Poriyal / Hyacinth Beans &Egg

Avarakkai alias Hyacinth beans....hmmm quite a name for simple veggie /beans huh... I never the knew the English name of avarakkai until now... I am so glad I found out. This recipe is from my mom, which simple yet tasty!!!! If u wanna know what is avarakkai checkout the picture below!!!!




Ingredients:

1 cup cleaned chopped Avarakkai
1-2 eggs
1/2 onion
1 tomato
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 tsp redchilli powder
salt to taste


Seasoning: oil, Mustard seeds, urad dal and cumin seeds.



Preparation:

Cleaning the avarakai is time consuming process in this recipe. U can see sharp ends on either side of the beans. All u have to do is pull this strings in the opposite direction. That's it... just chop finely.

Heat oil in pan and do the seasoning. Add crushed garlic cloves. Saute till the aroma comes out of garlic. Add onion and fry till translucent. Add chopped tomato and fry till mushy. Add chopped beans to the mixture. Add 3/4 cup of water. cover and let it cook. The beans should be soft once its done. It might take up to 15 mts in medium heat. Let all the water evaporate. Finally break the egg into the mixture and cook till Burji consistency. Remove from heat.


Serve hot with sambar or rasam rice!!!!!

23 comments:

FH

Hi Ashwini, I love Avarekkai too. My mom used to make yummy side dishes like this, without eggs of course. I miss them so much. I get them once in a year or so from Indian store. Porial looks lovely.

Sailaja Damodaran

Yummy with curd rice....

Perspectivemedley

Wow.. nice recipe with avarai:).. I like that its spicy!!:)

Gita Jaishankar

Adding eggs to avaraikai is such a delicious idea...looks very tasty :)

Priya Suresh

Lovely and delicious poriyal, i do this way too..

Finla

I can eat this jus tlike that without anything else. yumm.

Sumi

my grandma used to make this...tates very good.thanks for reminding me abou the recipe

gtyuk

avarakkai muttai combination, Mmm, sounds delicious!!!

curious english name indeed, I named it myself ( flat beans, heehehe)

Ash

Hmmmmmmmmmm......... That is a different one & looks yummy too....

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Ashwini

Thanks for the lovely comments... even i didnt know the english name till yesterday...I love this poriyal with anything!!!!

Ramya Vijaykumar

Avaraikkai is my fav, havent tried it with Eggs... Sounds niice and a must try dish!!!

Parita

A very different combo!

Rachana

This is my first time here and got to learn a new thing, I didnt know the actual name of these beans, I always used to call it beans:) Poriyal looks good, I would omit the egg though:)
Cheers,
Rachana
rachanakothari.blogspot.com

Fathima

Perfect with a bowl of rice!

TREAT AND TRICK

Looks yummy but never tried with egg before, love your picture too.

amna

i don't like this bean but u have just made it look delectable!

ARUNA

that's a nice dish!

Hari Chandana P

Wow.. Nice recipe.. looks perfect.. :)

shahana

Never tried avarakkai with eggs.nice idea! Thanks for sharing!

Uma

Hi Ashwini,
liked the combo of beans n egg.. lovely egg recipes..
Cheers,

FoodLovers

nice with curd rice

R

this is an interesting combo, will try it out sometime :)

Amy B.

My mom used to make this, I miss her cooking! I'll try making this myself , thanks! ;-)

Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP